Property Services Officer
Location: Preston (but currently working from home)
Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm
Pay: $73,000 annually
This role is located in the northern suburbs of Melbourne, covering an area of around 53 square kilometres of land and encompassing the areas of Bundoora, Kingsbury and Macleod, Fairfield and Alphington, Northcote, Preston, Reservoir, Coburg and Thornbury. Playing a crucial role in contributing to and promoting environmental sustainability both within Council operations and across the municipality.
- Administer Council’s program of road (rights-of-way) discontinuances, extinguishment of drainage reserves and road declarations.
- Provide advice on issues and enquiries relating to roads (rights-of-way) drainage reserves and other land holdings.
- Provide advice on title particulars.
- Administer the Geographic Place Naming process.
- Provide support in other property management issues and projects as required.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
- Effectively and efficiently administer the process of right-of-way discontinuances, the extinguishment of drainage reserves and road declarations in accordance with relevant legislation and Council policy.
- Respond to right-of-way, drainage reserve and land holding referrals, requests, issues, enquiries or ensure they are redirected to the appropriate officer for action.
- Develop a working knowledge of legislation, including the Local Government Act 2020 that relates to rights-of-way, roads, public highways and property, and disseminate this information to the organisation.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of right-of-way discontinuance and sale documentation including processes, procedures, standard documents and related forms to ensure they are kept up to date with current changes including legislation and policy.
- Maintain corporate value records on right-of-way discontinuance schemes, drainage reserve extinguishments and land holdings, including documents relating to the assessment of schemes, allocation of land, land transfers and payment arrangements.
- Maintain and provide updates, in conjunction with contracted land surveyors, on the rights-of-way overlay in Council’s GIS system.
- Provide regular reporting on progress towards budget and rights-of-way discontinuance (including drainage reserve extinguishments) and sales program goals.
- Prepare and administer invoicing.
- Administer the road and place naming process in accordance with the Naming Rules for Places in Victoria 2016 and Council policy.
- Provide general property advice to the organisation regarding enquiries such as title/ownership information, title boundaries, land status, valuation, easements and covenants.
- Provide general property consultancy advice to members, regarding inquiries such as title/ownership information, title boundaries, valuation, easements and covenants.
- Prepare reports, including Council reports relating to the sale and discontinuance of roads, sale and acquisition of properties, and leasing and licensing matters.
- Administer secretariat functions of the Property Assessment Committee, including preparation of agenda, minutes, and related reports.
- Contribute and provide advice across internal working groups as required for relevant plans, strategies and frameworks, including property related policies and procedures.
- Other duties as directed within the skills and capabilities of a position at this level.
Specialist Skills and Knowledge:
- Knowledge and experience in right-of-way discontinuances, drainage reserve extinguishments and road declarations.
- Knowledge and understanding of legislation and statutory processes as they relate to road discontinuances, drainage reserve extinguishments, road declarations and property sales (Local Government Act 2020 and Road Management Act 2004).
- Ability to read and interpret various property related documents including Certificate of Title and subdivision plan.
- Experience in the use of core property, asset management, records and GIS databases and systems.
- Experience in administering work program budgets.
- High level of proficiency in the use of the Microsoft platform (e.g. Excel, Word) and experience with the use of property and/or asset management systems.
- Ability to manage time, work within deadlines, plan and prioritise work to meet objectives of the position and the organisation.
- Retain highly sensitive and confidential information.
Qualifications, Certificates, Licences, and/or Experience:
- Appropriate experience, training or qualifications in the area of property management, road administration or other related discipline.
- Experience in a Local Government environment.
- Experience in administering data, processing work and providing reports within a defined system.
- Experience in working with legislation and/or legislative issues.
To Apply: Please send an up to date resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
“ONLY ABORIGINAL AND/OR TORRES STRAIT ISLANDER PEOPLE ARE ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE SPECIAL MEASURES PROVISION, SECTION 12 OF THE EQUAL OPPORTUNITY ACT 2010 (VIC).”